Construction Tax Surveyor
The Construction & Property Tax team has been an integral part of Gardiner & Theobald for over 30 years and is regarded as a key component of providing clients with a world class service offering within the construction and property sectors.
We are now expanding and developing this specialist team and are seeking a highly motivated individual to be a key part of an exciting future. The role will centre around the provision of expert analysis and advice in areas where construction and tax overlap, primarily capital allowances, VAT and environmental tax reliefs. The aim is always to add value through the securing of available tax reliefs and assisting clients in achieving their compliance objectives.
Every client/project will have a specific set of circumstances and drivers and the successful candidate will need to utilise their skills to understand and adapt to meet each challenge.
Ideally you will have post graduate experience within the construction sector with an understanding of the fundamentals of the cost management of construction projects. An analytical mind would also be a distinct advantage.
Some specific capital allowances or VAT experience is preferable but not essential as full training and support will be provided to develop the skills necessary to become a trusted adviser. As part of this, the opportunity to pursue the ATT qualification will also be made available at an appropriate point.
The day-to-day role will involve:
- Understanding and implementing construction specific tax legislation
- Liaising with clients to understand and meet their specific requirements
- Advising clients on eligibility issues
- Liaising with project teams, both internal and external, to gain the knowledge and information necessary to understand project design and costs
- Collating, organising and analysing project expenditure to support claims for tax relief
- Assisting clients in reconciling their accounting and tax position
- Preparing interim and final reports for incorporation into clients' tax returns and for submission to HMRC
- Negotiating and agreeing tax relief claims with HMRC
- Providing internal advice to G&T cost and project managers
- Assisting with the preparation of marketing information and knowledge papers
- Assisting with the delivery of internal awareness training and client presentations
Skills and Experience
- Degree level and/or RICS qualified
- Previous experience in a construction related role
- Organised and analytical approach to tasks
- Construction tax related experience preferred but not essential
- Able to work on own initiative
- A strategic thinker with broad problem solving skills and a drive to overcome obstacles to obtain results
- Personally committed to the delivery of excellent client service
- Positive attitude with a willingness to get involved
- Strong communication skills with experience working in a client focused environment working closely with clients, updating clients on progress, while taking personal responsibility in dealing with clients and striving to exceed their expectations
The successful candidate will be based in our London office, working on exciting projects in all sectors, ranging from £50k to £500m+. This is an exceptional opportunity to develop your career in a highly sought-after industry specialism, with the significant scope for personal progression within the team and Gardiner & Theobald as a whole.
You will be joining a team that has a significant level of experience and expertise in construction and property tax who can fully support and direct your knowledge development. As well as being an integral part of this energetic and hardworking team, you will also be a part of G&T as a whole, giving you access to all the benefits that brings from a social and networking perspective.
G&T's focus on training and development creates the perfect environment in which to progress your career. Within this team you will be given clear direction and positive encouragement at every turn as well as the tools to drive your career towards promotion when matched with your hard work and effort.
G&T is an independent construction and property consultancy working across all sectors of the built environment. We focus on minimising risk and creating opportunities to maximise the value of our clients’ developments and property assets.
We deliver Project Leadership, Cost Certainty, Construction Success and Specialist Consultancy working across all sectors of the built environment.
Our people are some of the most respected and highly trained in the industry. We ensure that we remain leaders in our field by investing in learning and development for everyone across the firm.
G&T is one of the most ethical firms in the built environment. Each year the firm and individuals support charitable causes through our social impact programme giving back to the communities we help to build.
Find out more about G&T.
G&T is a Disability Confident Employer.