Leighton House Museum, the Grade II* Listed former home of leading Victorian artist Lord Leighton, is one of the most remarkable buildings of the 19th Century and the only purpose built studio-house open to the public.
Originally designed by architect George Aitchison in 1864, the building and grounds have been significantly restored and re-presented over the years, most recently in 2010 with the completion of the restoration of the original house. G&T has supported the Leighton House team in achieving a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) grant and now will deliver the final phase of the restoration (Phase 3) with architects BDP.
The project will focus on the extensions added to the east end of the building (The Perrin Wing) in the 1920s and 1950s and will create new facilities including an additional exhibition gallery, new learning and interpretation spaces and visitor amenities.
The lower ground floor will be extended to create accessible cloakroom and WC facilities and a new main entrance will provide step-free access to the whole building. The extended lower ground floor will also house a suite for the display and storage of Leighton’s drawings as well as the museum archives. The Special Exhibitions Gallery will be transformed to allow larger and more ambitious exhibitions and a new mezzanine deck will be built to create staff offices.