Leighton House Museum, the Grade II* Listed former home of leading Victorian artist Lord Leighton is one of the most remarkable buildings of the 19th Century and the only purpose-built studio-house open to the public.
Originally designed by architect George Aitchison in 1864, the building and grounds have been significantly restored and re-presented over the years. G&T has supported the Leighton House team in delivering a National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF) scheme to extend and modernise the support facilities for the museum, adding gallery space, dedicated office and archive space, new arrival/orientation facilities, education and circulation.
The project makes use of the later Perrin Wing to provide support facilities, creating a new entrance and orientation space and a café at ground floor. Views out to the garden have been opened up and new vertical circulation has improved the accessibility to the historic house.
A new underground archive and drawings gallery have been created together with a new basement installed under the winter studio, which was supported on temporary works during construction. New plant is carefully integrated and the extension connects to the historic house at ground, first and basement levels.
The extended Leighton House Museum has all of the facilities expected of an accessible modern museum and is able to support education visits, out of hours use of facilities, temporary exhibitions and provide catering to visitors.
Leighton House Museum