Situated on the banks of the River Clyde, the Category B Listed West Boathouse has been upgraded to provide improved accessibility, enhanced facilities and flexible mixed-use space for use by three rowing clubs and the wider community.
Originally built in 1905, the timber piled and framed building had severely decayed over time. To preserve the frame, the external cladding and roof were stripped, the building was propped and a new concrete piled foundation installed internally.
External walls were replaced in a lightweight caged insulated render system, with detailing in a dense but lightweight polystyrene to replicate the original plasterwork.
Community groups are now invited to use the newly refurbished building as part of a wider strategy to encourage people to re-engage with the River Clyde.
Glasgow Building Preservation Trust (GBPT) developed and delivered the project with funding from multiple sources including the National Lottery Heritage Fund, Historic Environment Scotland, Robertson Trust, Glasgow City Council, Hugh Fraser Foundation, Turtleton Charitable Trust , Mickel Fund, Architectural Heritage Fund, William Grant Foundation, MyPark Scotland public appeal and the Spirit of Calton Fund.
This is the latest project delivered for GBPT by our Glasgow based conservation specialists, following the successful delivery of Parkhead School.
Glasgow Building Preservation Trust